U.S. PIRG Recruitment Director
Posted on: July 17, 2017
The Public Interest Research Group (U.S. PIRG) stands up for the public against powerful interests when they push the other way, winning concrete results on real problems that affect millions of lives.
Whether it’s stopping the overuse of antibiotics on factory farms, banning Monsanto’s Roundup unless and until it’s proven safe, protecting consumers from unsafe or unscrupulous practices, or other problems. These problems affect each and every one of us, regardless of whether you live in a red or blue state. The challenge is that powerful special interests have used their enormous resources to gain influence within our political system, while casting doubt on our solutions. And if the special interests and their allies in the White House, statehouses, or boardrooms push in the wrong direction, we’re ready to stand up for the public, and keep fighting until we achieve real results.
Right now we need a Recruitment Director to find the next generation of activists for PIRG. You are responsible for recruiting talented entry level staff to run campaigns on some of our country’s largest public interest issues.
- Recruitment strategy: You will work with staff across the country to coordinate messaging and carry out comprehensive plans to meet our overall staffing goals.
- Candidate outreach: You will identify top potential candidates, conducts interviews and make hiring decisions.
- Networking: You will develop strategic relationships with partner organizations, universities and serve as the public face for our recruitment efforts at conferences, career panels and job forums.
- Tracking and Data Analysis: You will oversee our tracking and data analysis to identify trends and opportunities to hire better activist.
- Operations management: You will oversee daily operations of the department; creating and managing the department’s budget, overseeing systems, and communications with candidates.
- Run a Canvass Office: During the summer, you will run a canvass office, helping to build the organization by canvassing and training others to be successful canvassers.
We are looking for a passionate and motivated individual to fill this role. The PIRG Recruitment Director must be detail oriented, able to manage and drive projects involving multiple stakeholders, a competent writer, and an articulate spokesperson. The ideal candidate would care deeply about both our campaigns and about building a strong and enduring institution to achieve long-term social change. You are not a glory seeker. We need somebody in this role who is glad to be behind the scenes, but able and willing to take command, solve problems, hold people accountable, and motivate staff at all levels of the organization. The recruitment director must be able to juggle multiple priorities, must be hungry for responsibility, and demonstrate grace under pressure.
Pay & Benefits:
The target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. We value experience with project management, networking, and running grassroots campaigns. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package.
Boston, MA or Washington, DC, or Denver, CO
Things to Know When You Apply:
PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network — a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Visit http://jobs.uspirg.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
PIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.