Media Relations Manager
Posted on: March 17, 2023
The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to our vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to social change.
The mission of The Public Interest Network’s in-house media communications department is to strategically enhance public visibility of U.S. PIRG, Environment America and dozens of state and national affiliated organizations. We seek to elevate our organizational story and positioning through increased media mentions of The Public Interest Network’s campaigns and more interviews with our leadership and subject matter experts. Enhanced visibility should lead to greater name recognition, political clout and donations for The Public Interest Network to advance its causes.
Our kind of politics is neither progressive nor conservative; neither left nor right, but forward. It’s not about pitting one group against another (though there often is one or more powerful interests standing in the way of change). It’s more about breaking free of a past that no longer serves us in order to build a better future for all.
We work on a wide array of issues, from the right to repair the things you own to making sure that pollution and toxic substances don’t contaminate our air, water and buildings.
The Media Relations Manager will be the point person for garnering coverage from DC-centric and DC-based journalists and will be the main liaison between The Public Interest Network’s DC-based staff and the media. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in making decisions in matters of significance.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Project Management & Media Strategy: Take ownership of media campaigns from gestation to fruition, especially with our DC-based lobbying teams and our consumer programs. Develop comprehensive, multifaceted communications strategies for ongoing and new campaigns.
- Writing & Editing: Write and assist in writing news releases, blogs, position statements and internal memos. Edit internal and public-facing writing for consistency, clarity and relevance.
- List Building & Networking: Build and maintain a list of media contacts. Add to network media lists through outreach to journalists.
- Story Pitching: Pitch stories to journalists using persuasive writing and speaking skills. Match our stories to journalists’ needs. Reach audiences via phone, email and social media and digital platforms.
- Staff Supervision: Act as supervisor of interns and junior staff in absence of division director.
- Are a concise communicator who can advocate for causes and translate wonky topics into layman’s terms.
- Can write and edit well enough to impress even a grizzled, veteran journalist.
- Can manage complex projects.
- Are goal-driven and results-oriented, lead by example, take initiative and learn from mistakes.
- Are digitally savvy with Google Suite, Microsoft Office and major social media and can effectively use spreadsheets, databases and other technology.
- Preferably have 7+ years of experience in public/media relations or journalism, ideally at a nonprofit or in politics.
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree and excellent academic credentials.
- Can make a two-year commitment to the position.
- Know how things work inside the Beltway, from Capitol Hill to the various Cabinet departments and other government agencies.
Things To Know When You Apply:
Why work with The Public Interest Network? Here are ten reasons: https://publicinterestnetwork.org/why-work-with-us/
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values for things you should know about our network when you apply.
The Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
The Public Interest Network
Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including extensive classroom and hands-on training.
This position starts immediately. Please apply at your earliest convenience.