Maryland PIRG Campaign Associate
Posted on: March 3, 2023
Maryland PIRG is seeking a Campaign Associate to help lead our Democracy for the People campaign.
We know the problems facing our democracy are large and deeply rooted. But we also know that there are changes we can make immediately that will pave the way for restoring our democracy. We’re researching and advocating for new ways to protect and restore our democracy. In particular, we are running campaigns to get big money out of politics and modernize voting.
Big Money Out: Our democracy has a big money problem. In 2016, fewer than 400 families gave more than half of all of the money raised in the presidential race. We’re working to bring power to the people by passing small donor empowerment programs at the state and local levels.
Modernize the Vote: Registering to vote should be easy, accurate and automatic. Maryland has made strides with our voter registration systems, but there’s more work to be done to ensure voters are able to register and vote.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalog and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Recruit new people to your team: Help build your team recruiting volunteers, interns and full-time staff.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $30,000-31,500 in the first year. Maryland PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. The position starts August 2023.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
Why work with PIRG? Check out 10 reasons: https://pirg.org/why-work-with-us/
Maryland PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://pirg.org/core-values/ for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Maryland PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
$30,000 – $31,500
August 1, 2023
June 1, 2023