Illinois PIRG Campaign Associate
Posted on: March 3, 2023
Illinois PIRG is hiring a campaign associate to help drive our campaigns to protect consumers from threats to their health, safety, and pocketbooks.
American politics is too often dominated by special interests. Illinois PIRG’s mission is to focus attention and action on the public interest.
We work on problems that affect everybody, not just one group or another. And we’ll work with anyone, Democrat, Republican or independent, who agrees with our positions and supports sensible solutions.
At Illinois PIRG, we focus on the quality of our lives, not the quantity of stuff we produce and consume. We aim to improve the quality of our health, our environment and our well-being.
Our consumer protection program advocates for consumers from threats to their health, safety, and pocketbooks. For example, even though Illinois requires every car owner to buy car insurance, it doesn’t protect car insurance customers from excessive or unfair rates. We are one of only two states whose Department of Insurance has no power to reject or modify car insurance rate hikes. Illinois PIRG founded and co-leads the Illinois Coalition for Fair Car Insurance Rates, which is leading a campaign for reform.
We are seeking a Campaign Associate who will spearhead this campaign and work with our experienced team of advocates, researchers, and digital and communications experts.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, excellent judgment and discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects, an eagerness to learn and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalog and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Recruit new people to your team: Help build your team by recruiting volunteers, interns and full-time staff.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $30,000- $32,155 in the first year. Illinois PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
We’re also hiring campaign associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. This position starts in August 2023.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
Why work with PIRG? Check out 10 reasons: https://pirg.org/why-work-with-us/
Illinois PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://pirg.org/core-values/ for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Illinois PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.
We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
$30,000 – $32,000
August 1, 2023
June 1, 2023