Environment Colorado Advocate
Posted on: October 17, 2022
Environment Colorado Zero Waste Advocate
Environment Colorado is seeking a Zero Waste and Conservation Advocate to promote our efforts to eliminate single-use plastics, increase energy efficiency and protect open spaces across Colorado.
As our Zero Waste and Conservation Advocate, you’ll work with our State Director and the national conservation program team at Environment America to:
- Implement a landmark producer responsibility policy that will expand recycling and reduce single-use plastics
- Update a state law to reduce the use of bee-killing pesticides like neonics
- Work with local governments to expand zero waste policies and adopt new policies to protect pollinators and pollinator habitats
- Win protections for open spaces including adding new state and national parks and protected lands
- Implement and strengthen state laws and regulations that increase energy efficiency in buildings
- Expand our conservation community events including our monthly river clean ups and pollinator seed spreading events
Environment Colorado is a policy and action group with thousands of supporters across the state. Our mission is to protect clean air, clean water and open space. Over the last 50 years we have won campaigns to dramatically expand the use of solar and other clean energy, and get cleaner cars and buses on the road. We’ve passed a comprehensive ban on single-use plastic bags and polystyrene containers, and strengthened protections for our rivers and streams.
Represent Environment Colorado and advance our strategy in the Colorado State Capitol and key agencies including the Colorado Department of Public Health and the Environment:
- Develop strong and collaborative relationships with state agencies, partner organizations, coalitions, legislators and legislative staff on both sides of the aisle, and other stakeholders to advance shared goals.
- Seek out and identify policy opportunities related to our issue portfolio and make recommendations regarding policy positions and messaging.
- Work with your team to develop materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media to help advance our campaigns, including opinion editorials, press releases, letters to the editor, action campaign emails, fact sheets, bill summaries and policy briefs, regulatory comments, analyses, and presentations.
- Fundraise from charitable foundations and individual donors to support our program: meet with foundation staff and donors to pitch projects for funding. Work with your team to write and submit grant proposals. Meet with individual Environment Colorado supporters to deepen their giving and build our donor base.
Build a team:
You will be part of a Colorado based team of advocates and campaign staff to advance our policy goals. Advocates may serve as mentors or supervisors to less experienced staff.
Participate in recruitment and make hiring recommendations for the state office team.
- An campaign advocate, campaign staffer or grassroots organizer with at least 3 years of experience team building and/or coalition building.
- An effective communicator with excellent writing and verbal skills. Experience with traditional media or digital communications is a plus.
- Creative and effective at solving complex problems, a strategic thinker who can take advantage of new opportunities.
- A people person and good listener with a track record of successful access-building.
- Well-organized and able to work on multiple legislative and administrative proposals.
- Able to oversee significant projects and have excellent judgment and discretion.
- Passionate about the environment and using the power of grassroots organizing to win campaigns.
- Experience in a legislative office within Congress, a state legislature, or with an environmental or public health advocacy organization is a plus but not required.
- Fundraising experience, particularly in grant-seeking from charitable foundations.
Compensation and Benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $34,000-$40,000 in the first year and depends on relevant experience, education, and location. Environment Colorado offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
You’ll join a great team of dozens of organizers, advocates, lawyers, researchers, policy analysts, communicators and others with a record of winning hundreds of new laws and other policies that are making a real difference in people’s lives.
Environment Colorado has an excellent training program. Our experienced trainers are experts in policy, campaign planning, fundraising and working with the media.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Location: Denver, CO preferred
Things to know when you apply
Environment Colorado is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://environmentamerica.org/core-values for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment Colorado is an equal opportunity employer.