Posted on: August 26, 2022
Green Century Capital Management, Inc.
Green Century Capital Management (Green Century) is the administrator of the Green Century Funds, the first family of fossil fuel free mutual funds in the U.S. that are environmentally friendly
Our firm is growing, and we are seeking talented and motivated individuals to join our dynamic team.
For 30 years, Green Century has been the standard bearer of environmentally responsible investing.
Green Century uses a unique three-pronged approach to deliver impact and competitive returns.
- Invests in companies aligned with environmental values: Instead of investing in environmentally dangerous industries such as coal, oil, gas and tobacco, Green Century Funds avoids these companies so that clients can match their ethics to their investments
- Leads an effective shareholder advocacy program: Our team of shareholder advocates directly presses global companies to improve their corporate sustainability practices.
- Supports environmental and public health nonprofit organizations: Green Century is the only mutual fund company in the U.S. wholly owned by environmental and public health nonprofit organizations, and 100% of the profits we earn managing the Green Century Funds can be used to support their critical work.
Green Century is seeking to add a talented person to our award-winning shareholder advocacy program..
Green Century’s Shareholder Advocate will bring critical environmental concerns to America’s largest corporations and help develop strategies to ensure that the corporations respond by improving their practices.
Green Century’s award-winning, in-house, and in-depth shareholder advocacy program goes well beyond voting proxies to include shareholder resolutions, dialogues, and stakeholder collaborations, providing a unique way for our investors to make an environmental impact. Our team of advocates researches cases for action, communicates directly with companies and also helps coordinate Green Century’s work with that of other responsible investors as well as with the broader community of environmental advocates, researchers, and policy experts.
This position will join our growing team of shareholder advocates, marketing and business staff and report to the Director of Shareholder Advocacy.
Green Century is seeking a candidate with a demonstrated commitment to the environment, excellent research and writing skills, strong people skills, an appreciation of strategy, and a proven ability to juggle multiple projects. The candidate should be able to work effectively in both corporate and non-profit settings.
Representative responsibilities include:
- Learning and staying current on business and environmental issues for the companies in our portfolio.
- Researching practices and policies of companies and their competitors
- Assisting in the development and implementation of requests for action for selected environmental concerns and companies
- Preparing the business cases for action for multiple issues and sectors
- Communicating with corporations through written correspondence, telephone, and in-person meetings
- Negotiating with company representatives
- Writing and filing shareholder resolutions
- Briefing institutional investors about our shareholder resolutions to secure support
- Attending and presenting at corporate annual general meetings
- Voting the proxies for companies owned by Green Century and the Funds
- Representing Green Century in shareholder coalitions
- Communicating with other investors to develop and coordinate actions
- Working with the program teams of the PIRGs and other organizations in the Public Interest Network
- Tracking relevant non-profit activist campaigns
- Writing and distributing press releases and speaking with members of the press
- Writing and producing materials describing Green Century’s work
- Promoting Green Century to various audiences
- Supporting the broader mission of Green Century and our non-profit owners, as needed
Qualifications: We seek applicants who possess a strong commitment to environmental issues and interest in working to make businesses be more environmentally responsible. The successful candidate will bring the following skills and attributes to the position: strong verbal, writing, interpersonal, strategic, and analytical skills; energy and commitment to environmentally responsible investing; a team orientation that balances individual contribution and group effort; an ability to bring integrity and collegiality to our corporate dialogues; and an interest in building a movement that emphasizes Candidates must have excellent judgment and discretion and the ability to manage significant projects.
Ability to travel periodically and a college degree is required.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts.
Compensation & Benefits: Target annual compensation for this position is set on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees of the successful candidate. Green Century Capital Management offers a competitive benefits package.
To Apply: Complete our online application and upload a cover letter and resume at https://workforprogress.org/apply/?pos=Shareholder+Advocate&org=Green+Century+Funds&id=315. Please address your cover letter to Kate Canada, Hiring Director.
Green Century Capital Management is a part of The Public Interest Network. The Public Interest Network
operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values to learn more.
Green Century Capital Management is an equal opportunity employer.