Posted on: June 22, 2022
Public Interest Network Grantwriter
The Public Interest Network is seeking a Grantwriter to work with our network’s advocates, organizers, attorneys, executive directors and development staff to raise grant funding for a wide array of public interest campaigns and programs.
The Public Interest Network operates and supports more than a dozen nonprofit advocacy groups, all working toward a greener and healthier country. Our organizations include PIRG, which advocates for consumers and the public interest; Environment America, which promotes policies and action that make the world a greener and healthier place; and the National Environmental Law Center, which takes legal action against companies that violate clean air and water laws. Combined, these organizations have more than 250 staff.
Over nearly 50 years, our mission-driven, results-oriented approach has won hundreds of victories that have made a positive difference in people’s lives. But we need to do more. No matter how good our ideas might be, we need to make sure that, as we work to win better public policies and change corporate practices, we’re also building a foundation for an impact that will last by changing the conversation in our politics and winning the country over to our ideas and values.
Grantwriter Representative Responsibilities
Specifically, the Grantwriter’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Writing and editing grant proposals, and promoting our organizations’ programs, campaigns and values through written updates and other affinity-building activities;
- Researching and identifying foundation and donor prospects, and helping to maintain the information in our central database;
- Working with grantseekers around the country by training staff to be effective grantseekers, acting as a general clearinghouse for advice and information on funding strategy and the funding community, and working with the network’s management team to ensure as a movement we meet our grantseeking goals; and
- Building the movement by recruiting staff for the network’s organizations, and supporting priority network programs and projects — from training entry level staff to phone banking to helping with events.
We are looking for skilled candidates with a demonstrated commitment to environmental and public interest issues. We also are looking for someone who is inspired by our shared vision for a better world and strategic approach to winning change that’s built to last, and who embraces our network’s core values—such as a “transpartisan” approach to making change, pragmatic problem-solving and results-drivenness, and hard work.
Additionally, top candidates will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree and at least one year of relevant professional experience. Experience in fundraising and/or with an advocacy organization or on political campaigns is a plus;
- Have exceptional expository writing and verbal persuasion skills, with the ability to translate complex campaigns and programs into targeted fundraising requests;
- Have a track record of academic success and proven leadership ability;
- Be flexible, embrace new challenges, and have a strong work ethic;
- Be detail-oriented, deadline driven, highly organized, and have excellent project management skills;
- Like, and be excellent at, working with people, but be comfortable behind the scenes; and
- Be able to work independently and creatively, as well as take direction and work as part of a team.
- Have excellent judgment, discretion and the ability to manage significant projects.
The Grantwriter position requires a two-year commitment.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is $31,000-$43,000 and depends on relevant experience, education and location. The Public Interest Network offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Washington, DC or Los Angeles, CA.
Visit https://workforprogress.org/the-public-interest-network/?id=371 and fill out our online application. If we are interested in interviewing you for the position, we will get back to you within a week.
Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
Fund for the Public Interest will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.