Posted on: April 8, 2022
The Public Interest Network Media Relations Manager
The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to our vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to social change.
The mission of The Public Interest Network’s in-house media communications department is to strategically enhance public visibility of U.S. PIRG, Environment America and dozens of state and national affiliated organizations. We seek to elevate our organizational story and positioning through increased media mentions of The Public Interest Network’s campaigns and more interviews with our leadership and subject matter experts. Enhanced visibility should lead to greater name recognition, political clout and donations for The Public Interest Network to advance its causes.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Project management: Take ownership of media campaigns from gestation to fruition.
- Media strategy: Develop comprehensive, multifaceted communications strategies for ongoing and new campaigns.
- Writing: Write and assist in writing news releases, blogs, position statements and internal memos.
- Editing: Edit internal and public-facing writing for consistency, clarity and relevance.
- List building: Build and maintain a list of media contacts.
- Networking: Add to network media lists through outreach to journalists.
- Story pitching: Pitch stories to journalists using persuasive writing skills that match our stories to journalists’ needs.
- Digital communication: Use social media to promote content, find journalists and pitch stories.
- Staff supervision: Act as supervisor of interns and junior staff in absence of department director.
- Are a concise communicator who can advocate for causes and translate complex topics into layman’s terms.
- Have writing samples that will impress even a grizzled, veteran journalist.
- Are a leader who takes initiative and learns from mistakes.
- Are goal-driven and results-oriented.
- Are ready to fight for a better world but don’t see everyone who disagrees with you as the enemy. In fact, you seek transpartisan solutions to contentious issues.
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree and excellent academic credentials.
- Preferably have 5+ years of experience in public/media relations, marketing and/or journalism.
- Have extensive working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Preferably have prior experience volunteering or working with a nonprofit organization or political campaign.
- Know how things work inside the Beltway, from Capitol Hill to the various Cabinet departments and other government agencies.
- Ideally speak Spanish fluently or, at least conversationally, so we can expand our audience, though this is not mandatory.
- Have excellent judgment, discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects.
- Can make a two-year commitment to the position.
Washington, D.C., or Denver preferred; may be negotiable
Compensation & benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $40,000-$65,000 and is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate brings. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, our commuter benefit program, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off and long-term disability insurance. Compensation and benefits may vary based on location and experience. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
To apply, complete our online application at:
Things to know when you apply
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our site (https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html) to learn more.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer.