Posted on: February 23, 2021
The Public Interest Network is hiring a Communications Associate to work with our in-house communications team.
PIRG and Environment America, the flagship organizations within The Public Interest Network, operate offices in 29 states. These organizations have been building political power at the state level to influence state and federal policy for more than 45 years. We have led the charge for national clean cars standards, key consumer protections, the creation of new national monuments, and a host of other campaigns. The problems we work on aren’t by nature progressive or conservative; our goal is to find common ground and advocate for common-sense solutions to problems that our country shouldn’t tolerate in an age of great abundance and technological progress. Our primary strategy is to organize people power to call for change.
The mission of the Public Interest Network’s in-house communications department is to strategically amplify the visibility of U.S. PIRG, Environment America and dozens of state and national affiliated organizations. We seek to elevate our organizational story and positioning through increased media mentions of The Public Interest Network’s campaigns and more interviews with our leadership and subject matter experts. To make change, people need to hear our story.
The Communications Associate will be an important part of our team, involved in writing, copy editing, networking and story pitching. Representative responsibilities include:
- Strategy: Assist national program staff, state directors and others in developing communications strategies for ongoing and new campaigns.
- Writing: Assist in writing news releases, position statements and internal memos.
- Copy editing: Edit internal and public-facing writing for consistency and clarity.
- List building: Build and maintain list of media contacts.
- Networking: Add to network media lists through outreach to journalists.
- Story pitching: Pitch stories to journalists using persuasive writing skills that match our stories to journalists’ needs.
- Digital communication: Use social media to promote content, find journalists and pitch stories.
- Are a concise communicator who can advocate for causes and translate complex topics into layman’s terms
- Have writing samples that will impress even a grizzled old journalist
- Are a leader who takes initiative and learns from mistakes
- Are goal-driven and results-oriented
- Are ready to fight for a better world but don’t see everyone who disagrees with you as the enemy
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree and excellent academic credentials
- Preferably have 1-3 years of experience in public/media relations, marketing or journalism
- Have extensive working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Medium, YouTube and LinkedIn
- Preferably have prior experience volunteering or working with a nonprofit organization or political campaign
- Have excellent judgment and discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects
- Can make a two-year commitment to the position
Denver, CO when the COVID-19 pandemic ends. All of our staff are currently working remotely.
Compensation & Benefits:
The compensation range for this position is $28,000-$34,000 and depends on relevant experience, education, and location. The Public Interest Network offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Fill out our online application here.
Things To Know When You Apply:
The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to our vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer.