Democracy Campaign Associate
Posted on: January 15, 2021
U.S. PIRG Democracy Campaign Associate
U.S. PIRG is seeking a Campaign Associate to help drive our Democracy For The People campaign.
Wealthy donors have always had an outsized influence in our democracy, but the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision opened the floodgates for mega donations and corporate spending in our elections. The result? Spending on political races has skyrocketed, and running for office has never been more expensive. The 2016 election cycle was the most expensive in U.S. history, with almost $6.5 billion spent. Unless a candidate is independently wealthy, they need to court contributions from mega donors, or corporate interests to be competitive in their race. This gives a very small number of people, massive influence on who runs for office, and often what they decide to talk about. That’s not how our democracy is supposed to work.
It’s time to reclaim our elections. That’s why U.S. PIRG has launched our Democracy For The People campaign. Our goal is to get big money out of our elections. And create an election funding system that relies on regular people, not the check books of the super-wealthy or corporate coffers.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,000-$30,000 in the first year. U.S. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Fill out our online application by clicking here.
New York, NY
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.This position starts in August 2021.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
U.S. PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our core values page for things you should know about our network when you apply.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.