CALPIRG Campaign Associate
Posted on: October 6, 2020
CALPIRG Public Health Campaign Associate
For nearly fifty years CALPIRG has been working to protect the public from threats to our health, safety, and well-being. We’ve helped to curb the overuse of antibiotics in factory farms in California, to protect the effectiveness of our life saving medicines. We’ve worked with California school districts to remove the threat of harmful lead in their drinking water. And we’ve successfully campaigned for laws to remove toxic chemicals from children’s toys, cosmetics, and furniture.
Now, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are once again lifting up the voices of doctors and other public health experts to protect public health. We’re urging our state elected leaders to follow the experts’ recommendations to save lives, including expanding COVID-19 testing, providing more PPE, and prohibiting the activities that would lead to community spread.
CALPIRG is hiring a Public Health Campaign Associate who would work with health experts to promote policies that save lives and prevent harm.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,000-$30,000 in the first year. CALPIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Fill out our online application by clicking here.
Oakland, CA or Sacramento, CA
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This position starts in August 2021.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
CALPIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our core values page for things you should know about our network when you apply.
CALPIRG is an equal opportunity employer.