PennEnvironment Campaign Associate
Posted on: October 6, 2020
PennEnvironment Campaign Associate
Join the PennEnvironment team to help tackle the existential crisis of our lifetime: climate change.
Pennsylvania has a long-standing history of fossil fuel extraction and currently has one of the largest carbon footprints in the U.S. It’s also one of the most-watched states politically in the nation. As PennEnvironment’s Campaign Associate in our Climate Solutions program, you’ll be working in the belly of the beast to advocate for reducing Pennsylvania’s reliance on dirty fossil fuels and fracking, while promoting the clean energy alternatives at our fingertips like wind and solar power. You’ll work alongside our experienced staff to press for Pennsylvania to commit to 100% renewable energy through advocacy and lobbying, working with the media, collaborating with partner groups and state leaders, and mobilizing citizen support for our campaigns to solve climate change.
As a campaign associate, you’ll be part of PennEnvironment’s effort to make Pennsylvania a leader in the fight against climate change and leave behind its history being a big part of the problem.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,000-$30,000 in the first year. PennEnvironment offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Fill out our online application by clicking here.
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This position starts in August 2021.
PennEnvironment is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our core values page for things you should know about our network when you apply.
PennEnvironment is an equal opportunity employer.