Consumer Watchdog Campaign Associate
Posted on: September 23, 2020
U.S. PIRG Consumer Watchdog Campaign Associate
U.S. PIRG is currently looking for a campaign associate to join our Consumer Watchdog team and help to warn the public about threats to their health, safety and financial security; empower consumers to protect themselves; and advance public policy.
Too often in the pursuit of economic growth, companies develop products, use technologies, and implement practices that put consumers’ health, safety, or security at risk. In just the last few years Equifax exposed the private personal and financial information of 147 million people, Volkswagen defrauded consumers by cheating on diesel air quality standards, Wells Fargo created millions of fake customer accounts, and loopholes have let unsafe drugs hit the market, killing some patients. Even well-informed consumers struggle to navigate problems such as these. That’s where the PIRG Consumer Watchdog comes in. We’re looking for a campaign associate to help lead our investigations into threats to consumer’s safety and health; use multichannel communication to warn the public about these threats; develop new tools to empower consumers to protect themselves; and advocate for strong public protections.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,000-$30,000 in the first year. U.S. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Fill out our online application by clicking here.
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.This position starts in August 2021.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
U.S. PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our core values page for things you should know about our network when you apply.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.