Posted on: September 2, 2020
The Public Interest Network: Research Associate
If you’re an advocate for social change, one of the most powerful tools in your toolbox is a robust list of people — including decision makers, connectors, influencers and other thought leaders — who can help you win your campaign.
The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to change. We work on issues that speak to the need for a new politics. Our campaigns challenge decision-makers, as well as all of us, to stop tolerating problems that are increasingly absurd in an age of advancing technology and growing abundance. Over the past five years, our coordinated approach has won dozens of victories. For example, we helped convince California, New Mexico, and Washington state and Maine to commit to 100 percent carbon-free energy, and we persuaded McDonald’s to reduce the overuse of medically important antibiotics in its global beef supply.
But we didn’t win these victories alone. Organizing around environmental and public interest issues requires deep coalition-building, strategic advocacy, and an ability to create a roadmap for building support that is efficient and effective.
That’s why we’ve put together a three-year plan for building our political access in all 50 states. To carry out this plan, we need a top-notch research associate to build, organize and upgrade our list of political influencers.
The Research Associate supports the program and organizing work of the Public Interest Network’s national and state program staff by building, researching, and managing this list of top contacts across the country. Specific areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Building a comprehensive list of the most important people in all 50 states related to our campaigns through internet research and outreach to staff and alumni of The Public Interest Network.
- Creating and enhancing a database of information on these contacts, including detailed biographical profiles, information on our relationship history, and extensive coding for efficient list management and segmentation.
- Designing and producing reports to inform and enhance our outreach and organizing strategies, as well as evaluate our progress in increasing our access to these important contacts.
- Working with the network’s outreach teams to implement coordinated list-building, management, outreach and reporting systems.
The Research Associate position requires a two-year commitment.
We are looking for skilled candidates with a demonstrated commitment to social change, an appreciation of the importance of organizing, and a deep understanding and love of data. We’re also looking for team players, who are more motivated by the success of the movement than by individual achievement. Qualified candidates will have a minimum of 2 years of professional experience, must exercise excellent judgment and discretion and have the ability to oversee significant projects.
Additionally, top candidates will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree and at least two years of relevant experience.
- Be a curious, creative and tenacious researcher. Also must have outstanding analytical skills and attention to detail, as well as be highly organized and deadline-driven.
- Be flexible, embrace new challenges, and have a strong work ethic.
- Have excellent computer and database skills and be able to learn quickly.
- Not be afraid to pick up the phone to get information.
- Have strong writing and presentation skills.
- Be able to work independently, as well as take direction.
Denver, CO or Los Angeles, CA preferred. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package.
Fill out our online application by clicking here.
Things To Know When You Apply
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
The Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
Los Angeles, CA
The Public Interest Network
Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees.
This position starts immediately. Please apply at your earliest convenience.