Health Care Advocate
Posted on: August 28, 2020
HEALTH CARE ADVOCATE
OSPIRG seeks a Health Care Advocate to help lead our campaigns to make health care work better for Oregonians.
At OSPIRG we stand up to powerful interests whenever they threaten our health and safety, our financial security, or our right to fully participate in our democratic society. For almost 50 years, we’ve stood up for Oregon consumers, countering the influence of big banks, insurers, chemical manufacturers and other powerful special interests. We’re particularly proud of work we’ve done to help cut over $280 million in waste from health insurance premiums for Oregon consumers, protect Oregonians from surprise medical bills, and increase transparency and accountability for prescription drug price hikes.
Here are two of our top current campaigns:
Reigning in the High Cost of Prescription Drugs: Rising prescription drug costs are a burden on all Oregonians through rising health insurance premiums, rising costs for Oregon businesses and a growing burden on state and federal budgets. We’re working to bring down those high costs by creating more transparency and holding the prescription drug industry accountable for unreasonable prices and unjustifiable price hikes.
High Value Health Care: Health care costs too much in this country because our system is inefficient and often prioritizes treatments that don’t work or tests that are unnecessary. At $10,000 per person each year, we spend twice as much money as similarly wealthy countries per person on health care costs. We’re working to implement reforms to increase the value of health care for consumers like implementing a public option health plan and limiting the increasing cost of care.
As the OSPIRG Health Care Advocate, you’ll develop policy solutions and implement a variety of campaign strategies to mobilize the public and influence insiders. Representative responsibilities include:
- Program Development: Help develop programs and campaigns around relevant health care policy, including researching the issue, creating viable policy solutions, and proposing the right political strategy and messaging.
- Advocacy: Represent OSPIRG in legislative meetings and hearings. Build relationships with players in key regulatory agencies, the Governor’s office, the Capitol and more.
- Campaign Strategy: Develop plans to win our campaigns; assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media coverage, and message development.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff, and meet with major donors, all to bring more resources to our campaigns.
- Staff and Intern Recruitment & Development Recruit new staff, interns and volunteers to increase our impact and build our power. Oversee interns to develop and implement work plans, provide training and leadership development opportunities.
Candidates should have at least 3 years of relevant professional experience, including (but not limited to) work in political, policy, legal, journalistic or government settings. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to public interest or consumer issues and to citizen-based social change, as well as a track record of leadership, an ability to drive significant projects, excellent judgement and discretion. We’re looking for people who are goal-driven and results-oriented, who have excellent verbal, written and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and who are driven to make positive policy change.
Portland, OR. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. OSPIRG offers a competitive benefits package.
Please apply using our online application. Direct your application to Charlie Fisher, OSPIRG Director.
OSPIRG is part of the Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our core values for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Right now, OSPIRG is working to ensure that we have comprehensive, COVID-19 testing now. The pandemic has affected millions of Americans, and killed over 100,000 already, but doctors still can’t get tests for those that need it. Please take action by calling on the new testing chief to make a plan to get us more and better testing for COVID-19. https://uspirg.webaction.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=37828
OSPIRG is an equal opportunity employer.
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has.
This position starts immediately. Please apply at your earliest convenience.