Associate, National Communications Team
Posted on: July 30, 2020
Attention Job Seekers: In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we want to assure you that The Public Interest Network is actively hiring for this position, and we welcome your applications.
The Public Interest Network is hiring a Communications Associate to work with our in-house communications team.
PIRG and Environment America, the flagship organizations within The Public Interest Network, operate offices in 29 states. These organizations have been building political power at the state level to influence state and federal policy for more than 45 years. We have led the charge for national clean cars standards, key consumer protections, and the creation of new national monuments, and a host of other campaigns. The problems we work on aren’t by nature progressive or conservative; our goal is to find common ground and advocate for common-sense solutions to problems that our country shouldn’t tolerate in an age of great abundance and technological progress. Our primary strategy is to organize people power to call for change.
The mission of The Public Interest Network’s in-house communications department is to strategically amplify the visibility of U.S. PIRG, Environment America and dozens of state and national affiliated organizations. We seek to elevate our organizational story and positioning through increased media mentions of The Public Interest Network’s campaigns and more interviews with our leadership and subject matter experts. To make change, people need to hear our story.
The Communications Associate will be an important part of our team, involved in writing, copy editing, networking and story pitching. Representative responsibilities include:
- Strategy: Assist national program staff, state directors and others in developing communications strategies for ongoing and new campaigns
- Writing: Assist in writing news releases, position statements and internal memos.
- Copy editing: Edit internal and public-facing writing for consistency and clarity.
- List building: Build and maintain list of media contacts.
- Networking: Add to network media lists through outreach to journalists.
- Story pitching: Pitch stories to journalists using persuasive writing skills that match our stories to journalists’ needs.
- Digital communication: Use social media to promote content, find journalists and pitch stories.
- Are a concise communicator who can advocate for causes and translate complex topics into layman’s terms
- Have writing samples that will impress even a grizzled old journalist
- Are a leader who takes initiative and learns from mistakes
- Are goal-driven and results-oriented
- Are ready to fight for a better world but don’t see everyone who disagrees with you as the enemy
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree and excellent academic credentials
- Preferably have 1-3 years of experience in public/media relations, marketing or journalism
- Have extensive working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Medium and YouTube and LinkedIn
- Preferably have prior experience volunteering or working with a nonprofit organization or political campaign
- Have excellent judgment and discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects
- Can make a two-year commitment to the position
- Conversational or fluent Spanish a plus
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including extensive classroom and hands-on training.
Fill out our online application by clicking here.
Things To Know When You Apply:
Right now, our partner U.S PIRG is working to ensure that everyone who needs a COVID-19 test gets one. The pandemic has affected millions of Americans, and killed over 100,000 already, but doctors still can’t get tests for those that need it. Please take action by calling on the new testing chief to adopt a plan that will help ensure that everyone who needs a test gets a test: https://uspirg.webaction.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=37037
The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to our vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to getting things done. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer.