U.S. PIRG Legislative Director
Posted on: May 22, 2020
Attention Job Seekers: In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we want to assure you that U.S. PIRG is actively hiring for this position, and we welcome your applications.
U.S. PIRG is seeking a Federal Legislative Director to promote our federal policy agenda and lead our DC-based advocacy team.
U.S. PIRG’s mission is to champion the public interest—to raise our voices on behalf of the public when decisions are being made that affect our health, our safety and our rights as consumers and citizens. The problems we address aren’t progressive or conservative. They’re just problems that our country shouldn’t tolerate.
Since March, the U.S. PIRG team has pivoted to working almost exclusively on novel coronavirus related issues, which includes campaigns to protect Americans’ physical health, financial health, and the health of our democracy in these challenging times.The Legislative Director would begin working immediately on these critical issues facing our country. You can learn more about each of these efforts and engage with them at https://uspirg.org/feature/usp/responding-crisis.
U.S. PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, a network of organizations that are committed to a cutting-edge vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to change. We’re transpartisan. We value dialogue over polarization. We invest in people and strategies that deliver results, including advocacy, lobbying, campaigning, litigation, policy research and grassroots organizing. And over the past 45 years, our coordinated approach has won hundreds of victories. Working with State PIRGs in 26 states and 20 field offices around the country, U.S. PIRG’s federal legislative team has resources far beyond the confines of the beltway.
LEGISLATIVE DIRECTOR REPRESENTATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and advance our federal policy agenda.
- Lead our DC-based team of advocates and campaign staff to advance our policy goals
- Seek out and identify policy opportunities related to our issue portfolio and make recommendations regarding policy positions and messaging.
- Develop strong and collaborative relationships with federal agencies, partner organizations, coalitions, legislators and congressional staff on both sides of the aisle, and other stakeholders to advance shared goals.
- Draft materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media to help advance our campaigns, including opinion editorials, press releases, letters to the editor, action campaign emails, factsheets, bill summaries and policy briefs, regulatory comments, analyses, and presentations.
- Fundraise from charitable foundations and individual donors to support our program.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal skills.
- Creative, effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker who can take advantage of new opportunities.
- A good people-person and listener with a track record of successful access-building.
- Well-organized and able to work on multiple legislative and administrative proposals, have excellent judgement and discretion and be able to manage multiple projects independently.
- Experienced in campaign advocacy, grassroots organizing, coalition building and or campaign politics for at least 7 years.
Experience in a legislative office within Congress, a state legislature, or another organization is a plus but not required.
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. U.S. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package.
To apply, fill out our online application at https://jobs.uspirg.org/apply_282.html. Please address your cover letter to Kate Canada, Hiring Director.
U.S. PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to getting things done. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Right now, U.S PIRG is working to ensure that everyone who needs a COVID-19 test gets one. The pandemic has affected thousands of Americans, and killed dozens already, but doctors still can’t get tests for those that need it. Please take action by calling on the new testing chief to adopt a plan that will help ensure that everyone who needs a test gets a test: https://uspirg.webaction.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=37037.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.