Green Century Funds Sustainability Analyst
Posted on: February 7, 2020
Green Century Capital Management, Inc.
Green Century Capital Management, Inc. administers the Green Century Funds, the first family of environmentally responsible, diversified and fossil fuel free mutual funds in the nation. Founded and wholly owned by non-profit environmental advocacy organizations, Green Century is dedicated to promoting an environmentally sustainable economy. The Green Century Funds are designed to achieve competitive returns while incorporating both values-based screens and ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) ratings and performance to invest in sustainable companies. Green Century conducts a robust shareholder engagement program to curb climate change, promote sustainable agriculture and press for greater corporate environmental responsibility.
The Green Century mission:
- Provide environmentally responsible investing opportunities for those who care about the planet while seeking competitive returns
- Promote environmental responsibility through a comprehensive shareholder advocacy program
- Support the advocacy and public interest work of Green Century’s founding non-profit organizations by generating revenue to fund their programs
Green Century is seeking to add a talented person to our team in order to expand Green Century’s ability to improve corporate environmental practices.
Green Century’s Sustainability Analyst will bring critical environmental concerns to America’s largest corporations and help develop strategies to ensure that the corporations respond by improving their practices.
The Sustainability Analyst will research a broad range of environmental risks in corporations in order to develop the business case for taking responsible environmental action, communicate these issues with the companies. The Sustainability Analyst will also help coordinate Green Century’s work with that of other responsible investors as well as with the broader community of environmental advocates, researchers, and policy experts.
The Analyst will also bring pressure to bear on targeted corporations by promoting Green Century’s issues, campaigns, and work.
The Analyst will work closely with our shareholder advocates and business team and report to the President.
Green Century is seeking a candidate with a demonstrated commitment to the environment, excellent research and writing skills, strong people skills, an appreciation of strategy, and a proven ability to juggle multiple projects. The candidate should be able to work effectively in both corporate and non-profit settings.
Representative responsibilities include:
- Learning and staying current on business and environmental issues for the companies in our portfolio.
- Researching practices and policies of companies and their competitors
- Assisting in the development and implementation of requests for action for selected environmental concerns and companies
- Preparing the business cases for action for multiple issues and sectors
- Communicating with corporations through written correspondence, telephone, and in-person meetings
- Negotiating with company representatives
- Writing and filing shareholder resolutions
- Attending and presenting at corporate annual general meetings
- Voting the proxies for companies owned by Green Century and the Funds
- Representing Green Century in shareholder coalitions
- Developing and working with selected coalition efforts
- Communicating with non-profit organizations to develop and coordinate actions
- Writing and distributing press releases and speaking with members of the press
- Writing and producing materials describing Green Century’s work
- Promoting Green Century to various audiences
- Supporting the broader mission of Green Century and our non-profit owners, as needed
- Other duties, as requested
We seek applicants who possess a strong commitment to environmental issues and environmentally responsible businesses. The successful candidate will also bring the following skills and attributes to the position: strong verbal, writing, interpersonal, strategic, and analytical skills; energy and commitment to socially responsible investing; a team orientation that balances individual contribution and group effort; and an ability to bring integrity and collegiality to our corporate dialogues. Candidates must have excellent judgment and discretion.
Ability to travel periodically and a college degree is required.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is set on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees of the successful candidate. Green Century Capital Management offers a competitive benefits package.
Complete our online application and upload a cover letter and resume on our website. Please address your cover letter to Kate Canada, Hiring Director.
Green Century Capital Management is a part of The Public Interest Network. The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to getting things done.Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply: https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html
Green Century Capital Management is an equal opportunity employer.