Federal Legislative Director
Posted on: February 7, 2020
Environment America Legislative Director
The damage we’re doing to the planet is just heartbreaking: climate change, plastic pollution, wildlife disappearing forever. But the solutions are all around us, practically begging us to adopt them: solar and wind power, electric cars and buses, more walkable and “bikeable” cities, reusing and repairing stuff instead of throwing it away, and on and on. Environment America is seeking a Federal Legislative Director to promote our policy agenda and lead our D.C.-based advocacy team.
The Legislative Director will work with our staff of researchers, campaign staff and communications experts to develop and implement advocacy campaigns at the federal level. The legislative agenda will balance proactive policies with a robust defense of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act and other important environmental protections that have come under attack in Washington, D.C.
We do what it takes to turn public opinion and political momentum toward a greener, healthier world. If you want to work hard, challenge yourself, and make an actual impact on the critical environmental issues of our time, then consider a career with Environment America.
LEGISLATIVE DIRECTOR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and advance our federal policy agenda.
- Lead our D.C.-based team of advocates and campaign staff to advance our policy goals.
- Seek out and identify policy opportunities related to our issue portfolio and make recommendations regarding policy positions and messaging.
- Develop strong and collaborative relationships with federal agencies, partner organizations, coalitions, legislators and congressional staff on both sides of the aisle, and other stakeholders to advance shared goals.
- Draft materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media to help advance our campaigns, including opinion editorials, press releases, letters to the editor, action campaign emails, factsheets, bill summaries and policy briefs, regulatory comments, analyses, and presentations.
- Fundraise from charitable foundations and individual donors to support our program.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Creative, effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker.
- A good people-person/listener with a track record of successful access-building.
- Well-organized and able to track multiple legislative and administrative proposals as well as organizational priorities such as fundraising and recruitment.
- At least 5 years of experience in grassroots organizing, coalition-building, campaign politics and/or advocacy.
- A team player, with the passion and grit to build a movement and do what it takes to get the work done.
Experience as a legislative advocate within Congress, a state legislature or another organization is a plus but not required.
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package
To apply, fill out our online application by clicking here. Please address your cover letter to Kate Canada, Hiring Director.
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to getting things done. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer.