Conservation Advocate for National Environmental Organization
Posted on: January 10, 2020
Environment America Conservation Advocate
We live in a world of incredible material abundance, but we’re running short on nature. We want more special places where we can hike among trees and wildflowers; more shoreline where we can sit mesmerized by ocean waves; more abundant wildlife, from the grizzly bear to the monarch butterfly. It’s up to us to protect America’s special places and the life they support.
We’re running campaigns to keep plastics out of our oceans and oil drilling off our coasts; to protect bees and other pollinators by banning the most problematic uses of the pesticides that kill them; to protect our public lands by blocking short-sighted proposals to shrink them or sell them off.
Environment America is seeking a Conservation Advocate to engage in the big challenges around our public lands and wildlife. The Conservation Advocate will work with our experienced team of federal lobbyists, researchers, state-level advocates, organizers, and digital/communications experts to develop and implement advocacy campaigns at all levels of government and in corporate boardrooms.
We’re focused on winning policy reforms that protect nature, but we recognize that to create a greener, healthier world we must continue to win the hearts and minds of our fellow Americans. Our job is to do both.
If you want to work hard, challenge yourself, and make an actual impact on the critical environmental issues of our time, then consider a career with Environment America.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Develop campaigns aimed at protecting wild places and wildlife.
- Work with our teams at the federal and state levels to advance our policy agenda.
- Work with groups and elected officials from across the political spectrum. Someone might disagree with us a majority of the time, but we’ll work with them if they support us on a given campaign.
- Work with the media to help advance our campaigns, including opinion editorials, press releases, letters to the editor, action campaign emails.
- Fundraise from charitable foundations and individual donors to support our program.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Creative, effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker with excellent judgement and discretion.
- A good people-person/listener with a track record of successful access-building.
- Well-organized and able to track multiple campaign projects and organizational priorities such as fundraising and recruitment.
- Three plus years of experience in grassroots organizing, coalition-building, campaign politics and/or advocacy.
- A team player, with the passion and grit to build a movement and do what it takes to get the work done.
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. We value experience with campaigns, advocacy at the federal level and grassroots organizing. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.
The ideal location for this position is Washington, DC, but we will consider other locations (Denver, Boston and Chicago in particular) for the right candidate who is willing and able to travel.
To apply, fill out our online application.
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to getting things done.
Visit https://jobs.environmentamerica.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer.
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.
February 17, 2020
Apply by February 9, 2020