Maryland Campus Organizer
Posted on: November 29, 2019
Maryland PIRG Students Organizer
We’re hiring an Organizer to work with students at the University of Maryland College Park.
Students are often at the forefront of movements to build a better future for our country. Whether or not those students make real progress depends on whether they are organized, have the skills to be effective and have a strategic plan to get things done. With Maryland PIRG Students you’ll amplify the power of student activism, and help students make real change, right now. We all want to live meaningful lives and have a future that’s greener and healthier. By recruiting, training and working alongside student activists on campaigns that get results, you can help to build that future today.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Our Organizer will provide students the training and resources they need to become movement leaders by recruiting volunteers, training potential leaders to take on more responsibility, and doing campaign work themselves.
- Inspiring and recruiting hundreds of students to take action on important issues.
- Training students to be effective social change leaders, using skills such as: organizing news conferences, building strong coalitions, generating grassroots support, and coordinating lobby days.
- Building a strong, sustainable, student-funded and student-run organization on campus by fundraising, building relationships with key players on campus and building our brand.
- Building relationships with other student groups, faculty and administrators.
- Working alongside students to win real reforms for the public.
- Running a citizen outreach office during the summer, where you’ll recruit and lead a team of canvassers to fundraise for important issues.
- Convinced decision makers to pass a bill that banned fracking in the state of Maryland.
- Secured $5 million from Congress for the Open Textbook Pilot program that will save students an estimated $50 million in textbook costs.
- Protected our Bay by making our state the 2nd in the country to ban the use of polystyrene statewide.
- Fossil Free UMD: Fight climate change by working to help make our campus go 100% renewable energy;
- Zero Waste: Promote a zero waste society by banning single-use plastics locally and across the state and implementing on-campus programs for composting and reduced waste;
- Textbooks Affordability: Make textbooks more affordable by promoting the use of free, open educational resources on campus; and
- Zero Hunger: 20% of UMD students are food insecure. Reduce food insecurity in the UMD community by teaching people about the campus pantry that provides free food and collecting regular donations.
Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to environmental, public interest and/or student issues, as well as a track record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent communication skills and enthusiasm for the work.
PAY & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $27,000 in the first year. Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
HOW TO APPLY
Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs is an equal opportunity employer.