Posted on: April 9, 2018
The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to our vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to getting things done.
The mission of The Public Interest Network’s in-house communications department is to strategically enhance public visibility of U.S. PIRG, Environment America and dozens of state and national affiliated organizations. We seek to elevate our organizational story and positioning through increased media mentions of The Public Interest Network’s campaigns and more interviews with our leadership and subject matter experts. Enhanced visibility should lead to greater name recognition, political clout and donations for The Public Interest Network to advance its causes.
The Communications Manager may be involved in project management, communications strategy, writing, copy editing, networking, story pitching and staff supervision. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Project Management: Take ownership of campaigns from gestation to fruition.
- Communications/Media Strategy: Develop comprehensive multifaceted communications strategies for ongoing and new campaigns.
- Writing: Assist in writing news releases, blogs, position statements, and internal memos.
- Copy editing: Edit internal and public-facing writing for consistency, clarity, and relevance.
- List building: Build and maintain list of media contacts.
- Networking: Add to network media lists through outreach to journalists.
- Story pitching: Pitch stories to journalists using persuasive writing skills that match our stories to journalists’ needs.
- Digital communication: Use social media to promote content, find journalists, and pitch stories.
- Staff Supervision: Act as media relations department head, including supervising interns and junior staff, in absence of senior manager.
- Are a concise communicator who can advocate for causes and translate complex topics into layman’s terms
- Have writing samples that will impress even a grizzled, veteran journalist
- Are a leader who takes initiative and learns from mistakes
- Are goal-driven and results-oriented
- Are ready to fight for a better world but don’t see everyone who disagrees with you as the enemy. In fact, you seek transpartisan solutions to contentious issues.
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree and excellent academic credentials
- Preferably have 8+ years of experience in public/media relations, marketing and/or journalism
- Have extensive working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Preferably have prior experience volunteering or working with a nonprofit organization or political campaign
- Can make a two-year commitment to the position
Denver or Washington, DC
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including extensive classroom and hands-on training.
Things To Know When You Apply:
The Public Interest Network is a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Our Partner, The Community Voters Project is hiring Canvass Directors to help increase voter registration and ensure everyone’s voice is heard in our democracy this election. Canvass Directors will recruit and oversee a team of committed canvasser activists and help increase participation of underrepresented communities in the 2018 elections. Learn more here: https://communityvotersproject.org/jobs.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.
The Public Interest Network
Compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package.
May 4, 2018
Apply by May 5, 2018