Zero Waste Campaign Associate
Posted on: August 26, 2020
U.S. PIRG Zero Waste Campaign Associate
The Zero Waste team with U.S. PIRG is seeking a Campaign Associate to help lead our Beyond Plastics campaign.
Nothing we use for a few minutes should threaten our health and pollute our future for hundreds of years.
Every day, people throw away tons of plastic “stuff” — cups, plates, bags, containers, forks, knives, straws, spoons and more. All of this waste not only clogs our landfills, trashes our parks, and litters our streets, but it also washes into our rivers and oceans, where it can harm wildlife.It’s time to move beyond single-use plastic, by getting rid of the most harmful waste, and stopping the use of things we truly don’t need.
U.S. PIRG is calling on our decision makers to lead us toward a zero waste future by passing a statewide ban on polystyrene (commonly known as styrofoam) take-out containers and single-use plastic bags.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,000-$30,000 in the first year. U.S. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, commuter benefit program, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Fill out our online application.
Denver, Boston, or Washington D.C.
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.This position starts in August 2021.
U.S. PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Please click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.