Environment Texas Campaign Associate
Posted on: August 26, 2020
Join the Environment Texas Conservation team, led by state director Luke Metzger, with our current campaign to expand protected parkland in Texas.
From camping under the stars at Big Bend Ranch to exploring the cypress swamps of Caddo Lake, our parks make life better here in Texas. Our parks protect the clean water we depend on and provide a home for some of Texas’ most wondrous wildlife, like the black bear and the leatherback sea turtle. But unfortunately our parks and open spaces face chronic underfunding which threatens their very existence. Every hour, almost 20 acres of open space are destroyed in Texas to make way for new strip malls and subdivisions.
That is why Environment Texas has launched the Million Acre Parks Project- a campaign that seeks to to better protect the beauty, character, and heritage of the Lone Star State by adding one million additional acres of parkland for us all to enjoy.
We are seeking a Campaign Associate who will spearhead this campaign and work with our experienced team of advocates, researchers, and digital and communications experts to run a strategic campaign to win support for the Million Acre Parks Project.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,000-$30,000 in the first year. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
We require a minimum two-year commitment for this position.
Fill out our online application.
We’re also hiring campaign associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This position starts in August 2021.
Environment Texas is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Please click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment Texas is an equal opportunity employer.