Environment America Legislative Advocate
Posted on: July 17, 2020
Attention Job Seekers: In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we want to assure you that Environment America is actively hiring for this position, and we welcome your applications.
Environment America is seeking a Federal Legislative Advocate to promote our federal policy agenda and be a part of our DC-based advocacy team. The Legislative Advocate will work with our staff of researchers, campaign staff and communications experts to defend the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act and other important environmental protections that have come under attack in Congress.
Environment America is a policy and action group with more than 2 million members and supporters spread across all 50 states. Our staff have been working for nearly four decades to promote national, state and local policies that put the environment first. For example, we’ve won policies that have resulted in more solar and wind power in 25 states, cleaner cars and power plants nationwide, and better protections for our rivers, streams, lakes and drinking water. With affiliates in 29 states, we run campaigns that not only raise awareness, but win results on the national stage, in states and cities, on the ballot and in the courtroom.
- Seek out and identify policy opportunities related to our issue portfolio and make recommendations regarding policy positions and messaging.
- Draft materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media to help advance our campaigns, including opinion editorials, press releases, letters to the editor, action campaign emails, factsheets, bill summaries and policy briefs, regulatory comments, analyses, and presentations.
- Serve as the spokesperson for our campaigns through media events, press releases and opinion writing. Raise the profile of our campaigns in the media.
- Advocate for our issues. Develop strong and collaborative relationships with federal agencies, partner organizations, coalitions, legislators and congressional staff on both sides of the aisle, and other stakeholders to advance shared goals.
- Develop plans to win our campaigns using research, advocacy, coalition-building, media attention, and grassroots mobilization; assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda.
- Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundations, and meet with major donors, to bring more resources to our campaigns. Work with our citizen outreach staff to build and deepen our membership base.
- Recruit new staff and volunteers.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal skills
- A good people-person and listener with a track record of successful access-building
- Well-organized and able to work on multiple legislative and administrative proposals
- At least 3 years of experience in advocacy, grassroots organizing, coalition-building and/or campaign politics
Experience in a legislative office within Congress, a state legislature, or another organization is a plus but not required.
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.
To apply, fill out our online application. Please address your cover letter to Kate Canada, Hiring Director.
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to getting things done.
Visit http://jobs.environmentamerica.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Right now, our partner U.S PIRG is working to ensure that everyone who needs a COVID-19 test gets one. The pandemic has affected millions of Americans, and killed over 100,000 already, but doctors still can’t get tests for those that need it. Please take action by calling on the new testing chief to adopt a plan that will help ensure that everyone who needs a test gets a test: https://uspirg.webaction.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=37037
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer.
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has.
September 1, 2020
Apply by August 31, 2020