Posted on: June 26, 2017
The Public Interest Network is looking for an administrator to help the advocates, campaigners, and leaders in U.S. environmental, consumer, and economic social movements work more effectively to solve some of America’s most pressing problems. The organizational, systems, and support work needed to power 500+ world-changers can be staggering. We’re looking for the kind of driven, detail-oriented person who can set up fifteen new email accounts, figure out how to get a vendor to fix a broken database connection, and talk an organizer in the field through how to connect to Wi-Fi. And that’s just before lunch.
About The Public Interest Network
The Public Interest Network is a nationwide network of nonprofit groups, including Environment America, U.S. PIRG, and Fair Share, that is dedicated to bringing people together in the fight for a stronger society, a healthier planet, and a government that works for all Americans, not just corporations. The organizations that make up the Public Interest Network each strive for solutions on their own, while the force of our combined strategies builds pressure for change across the political and economic spectrum. Several of those organizations are headquartered in the Denver office, home to approximately 75 full time staff and one of the Network’s citizen outreach offices. These organizations are responsible for numerous successes in Colorado and across the country ranging from expanding our use of clean energy such as solar and wind, to saving bee populations, to protecting consumers from the overuse of antibiotics, to name just a few examples.
The Services Administrator will provide support for the use, maintenance, and improvement of many of the information technology systems across The Public Interest Network. This includes Quick Base, Google G Suite, hub office computer networks, and individual team and department systems. The Services Administrator will exercise independent judgment and discretion over the following realms and take on other projects as assigned:
- Set up new users on all of our centrally managed systems
- Manage/update existing users
- Ensure that relevant user norms and policies are enforced
- Handle user management and behavioral issues
- Write user-facing documentation, best practices, and how-tos
- Write admin-facing documentation, best practices, and how-tos
- Ensure that all documentation remains up-to-date with respect to organizational principles and evolving platform capabilities
- Design trainings on our centrally managed systems
- Work with other department’s administrators to ensure good trainings are developed and run for key systems
- Run trainings on core systems on a pre-determined schedule throughout the year
- Ensure that trainings remain up-to-date with respect to organizational principles and evolving platform capabilities
Tier 1 Support
- Monitor help desk website and email address
- Provide initial user support for system, application, and hardware issues
- Escalate more complex requests as appropriate to the IT Director
- Use support interactions to further refine documentation and trainings
- Review and approve/reject proposals for new and upgraded database applications
- Develop a library of “how-tos” and “tips and tricks” for database development and design
- Work with database managers to troubleshoot issues, think through design problems, and develop their skills in database design and development
- Enforce and update/develop principles and best practices for good database design, data integrity, and workflow
- Help identify opportunities for automation, better communication, and simplification across the database ecosystem
A key part of the Public Interest Network’s mission is to train leaders who are capable of organizing and winning results for the public interest. The Services Administrator will receive hands-on training throughout the year from administrative staff and the IT Director as well as participate in a classroom training program. They will receive training on IT systems and infrastructure, basic programming, and administrative skills, as well as have the opportunity to learn campaign, organizing, and leadership skills.
We are looking for skilled candidates with a demonstrated commitment to social change and an appreciation of the importance of political organizing, who is motivated more by the success of the movement than by individual achievement. Additionally, top candidates will:
- Have at least two years of relevant experience, though strong entry level candidates will be considered. Prior IT experience, particularly with a public interest advocacy organization or on political campaigns, is preferred;
- Have strong computer skills. IT help desk experience, basic programming knowledge, familiarity with Linux and macOS, and basic knowledge of database design and administration, network design and administration, and web application design is preferred, but training will be provided;
- Have good communication, writing, and people skills, and be comfortable working with both people and technology;
- Be organized, have a good attention to detail, and be skilled at managing multiple projects;
- Possess the curiosity, motivation, and willingness to experiment to pick up new skills, knowledge, and interests through their work;
- Be flexible, ready to embrace new challenges, and have a strong work ethic;
- Have a demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in solving problems; and
- Be able to work independently and creatively, as well as take direction and work as part of a team.
This position requires a two-year commitment.
Compensation & Benefits
Annual compensation for this position is $27,250. Eligible staff receive paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days; and the opportunity to enroll in our group health care, college loan assistance, and 401(k) programs. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.
The Public Interest Network
Compensation and benefits for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available. A minimum 2-year commitment is required.
October 31, 2017
Apply by October 31, 2017