Boston Office Manager
Posted on: March 1, 2017
The Boston Office Manager oversees the management of the Boston office and digital systems for over a dozen organizations that are members of The Public Interest Network.
The Public Interest Network
The Public Interest Network is a nationwide network of nonprofit groups, including Environment America, U.S. PIRG, and Fair Share, that is dedicated to bringing people together in the fight for a stronger society, a healthier planet, and a government that works for all Americans, not just corporations. The organizations that make up the Public Interest Network each strive for solutions on their own, while the force of our combined strategies builds pressure for change across the political and economic spectrum. Several of those organizations are headquartered in the Boston office, home to approximately 70 full time staff and two of the Network’s citizen outreach offices. These organizations are responsible for numerous successes in Massachusetts and across the country ranging from expanding our use of clean energy such as solar and wind, to saving bee populations to protecting consumers from the overuse of antibiotics, as just a few examples. We are looking for an office manager who can help our office hum, to ensure our effectiveness and enable our success.
Among the Responsibilities
- Office Management. The manager is responsible for the everyday functioning of the office including maintenance and oversight of supplies, furniture, machinery, and all office spaces including our kitchen/break room. They also serve as the liaison and representative of our network to the building management.
- Office Budget. The manager is responsible for managing the Boston office’s budget, tracking expenses and income, requisitioning expenses, and proposing a budget that meets the needs of the organization’s objectives and principles.
- Office administration. The manager is responsible for managing an office of 70+ staff, maintaining its technical systems, such as the phone system and Internet Network, ordering supplies, maintaining its organizational systems, security system, incoming and outgoing mail, and proposing and managing contracts with vendors and building management.
- Office communication. The manager coordinates meetings for staff in the office to build community, communicate important updates, and solve problems. They maintain our office Intranet page which includes office calendars, social events, reminders about team responsibilities, and campaign opportunities.
- Recruitment. The manager helps build the public interest movement by recruiting staff and interns to work on The Public Interest Network’s campaigns, raise money, and make social change.
- Digital Systems Administrator. The manager helps to maintain the organization’s secure log in tool and email system, not only for staff in Boston, but our network of 600+ staff across the country. The manager works closely with the IT team to ensure staff have access to the digital tools and systems they need for work. And, pays close attention to detail in creating user accounts and maintaining security levels on systems. We recently migrated to the Google suite of tools, so the manager will help onboard staff through trainings and workshops. In addition to running trainings on how to use the tools, the manager provides support via phone and email, and troubleshoot issues with our staff and vendors as needed.
Qualified candidates will have:
- A positive attitude and the ability to effectively work with all different types of people
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Initiative and the ability to complete tasks efficiently
- Competence in the use of basic administrative tools (such as Excel)
- The ability to quickly comprehend and utilize new programs
- Comfort in maintaining technical systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A track record of accomplishment
The ideal candidate is passionate about political change, organizing, and movement building.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience. TPIN offers a competitive benefits package. Eligible staff receive health insurance, paid holidays, sick days, vacation days, and the opportunity to enroll in our college loan assistance and 401(k) programs. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
This job is located in downtown Boston just steps away from the State Street station.
Visit this website to apply: http://workforprogress.org/job-board/entry/374/ You can address your cover letter to Janet Domenitz.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to a diverse workplace and a diverse movement. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status.