Digital Campaigner: Stop the Overuse of Antibiotics
Posted on: May 2, 2017
DIGITAL CAMPAIGNER: STOP THE OVERUSE OF ANTIBIOTICS
Large industrial farms misuse our life-saving antibiotics. Work to fix this problem by turning your online skills into political action.
ABOUT THE JOB
U.S. PIRG is hiring a Digital Campaigner to work on one very big problem: stopping the overuse of antibiotics on factory farms.
Life-saving antibiotics are too important to squander, but that’s exactly what is happening due to the overuse of these drugs. Factory farms routinely administer antibiotics to livestock even when the animals are not sick, creating a breeding ground for antibiotic-resistant bacteria, aka superbugs. It’s the crutch of the industrial farming system, and it’s putting our health at risk.
In joining our team, you will urge more restaurant chains to follow the lead of Chipotle, Subway, and others in no longer serving meat raised on antibiotics. You’ll push for policy changes at the state and federal levels.
We are hiring a Digital Campaigner with sharp writing skills, savvy strategic ability and a talent for using social media.
In today’s world, no advocacy effort is complete without a significant online presence. People today turn to the web for their information, to learn about issues and to take action. Your efforts as an online campaigner will be key to any successful campaign.
With U.S. PIRG, you’ll get great experience, be part of a team, and change the world.
The digital campaigner will exercise independent judgment and discretion in the following areas and take on other projects as assigned:
- Collaborate with policy experts and advocates to translate complex policy and campaign messaging into compelling, bite sized pieces of digital content.
- Write emails and campaign actions that you’ll send to hundreds of thousands of supporters to build our efforts to stop the overuse of antibiotics on farms.
- Design and curate content for social media and organizational websites.
- Develop creative online tactics to fundraise and turn potential supporters into committed action takers.
- Track and analyze key metrics to continually improve our performance and develop best practices.
- Keep up on and implement emerging digital trends and strategies, technologies, and best practices by regularly communicating with allies and digital professionals and attending conferences and trainings.
- You can write persuasively and boil complex issues down to a single sentence.
- You have an opinion about what works online and can point to examples to back it up.
- You’re excited to learn new tools and aren’t afraid of HTML.
- You have an opinion about political issues, want to make a difference, and are excited about calling out special interests standing in the way.
- You understand that a strict blue vs. red perspective doesn’t capture the essence of many political battles. You want to push solutions that have broad appeal.
- You have built something from scratch.
- You sweat the details.
U.S. PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network — a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.