Grants and Office Administrator
Posted on: March 26, 2021
Public Interest Network Grants & Office Administrator
The Public Interest Network is seeking a skilled administrative professional to manage our Washington D.C. office and work with network’s advocates, organizers, attorneys, executive directors, and development staff to administer our grant funding for a wide array of public interest campaigns and programs.
The Public Interest Network operates more than a dozen organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. These groups include U.S. PIRG, Environment America, Green Corps, and the National Environmental Law Center and encompass 400-plus staff. We tackle some of the biggest challenges facing our country today, such as delivering clean air, clean water and a livable climate to the next generation; transforming our energy and transportation systems for the 21st century; growing food in ways that leave both people and the planet healthier; and responding to the worst public health crisis in a century.
Over the past 50 years, our mission-driven, results-oriented approach has led to hundreds of victories. In just the past few years, we helped convince California, New Mexico, Washington state, Maine and Virginia to commit to 100% carbon-free energy, and Maryland and Maine to ban the single-use plastic foam products that are polluting our planet. But there’s more to do.
In order to achieve these results, the groups in The Public Interest Network need a strong backup staff to provide the resources, guidance and infrastructure it takes to make progress on these issues.
Specifically the Grants & Office Administrator’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Being an outward-facing professional face of our Washington DC office, including answering calls and greeting members, coalition partners, volunteers, staff, vendors, interviewees and guests;
- Supporting Washington DC office staff, including orienting new staff to office policies and enforcing them, maintaining office security, ordering and maintaining office equipment and supplies;
- Managing the DC office operating budget, working with vendors and building maintenance staff, sorting and distributing mail and making sure bills are paid on time;
- Tracking and reporting on all Public Interest Network grantseeking income and activity, and ensuring we are meeting grant reporting requirements;
- Maintaining the information in our central database of foundations, prospective donors, and other contacts;
- Providing technical assistance on grant proposals, budgets, and other communications with the funder community; and
- Organizing the logistics for events our network holds in Washington DC, including staff retreats, campaign activities, trainings and board meetings.
We are looking for skilled candidates with a demonstrated commitment to social change and an appreciation of the importance of organizing. We’re also looking for candidates that are more motivated by the success of the movement than by individual achievement, and who are flexible and embrace new challenges.
Additionally, top candidates will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree and at least one year of relevant experience, but strong entry level candidates will be considered. Experience in administrative work and/or with an advocacy organization or on political campaigns also is preferred;
- Have a track record of academic success and proven leadership ability;
- Be flexible, embrace new challenges and have a strong work ethic;
- Have strong writing skills, excellent attention to detail and computer/database skills;
- Like, and excel at, working with people, but be comfortable behind the scenes;
- Have good judgement, discretion and the ability to manage significant projects; and
- Be able to work independently and creatively, as well as take direction and work as part of a team.
The Grants & Office Administrator position requires a two-year commitment.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate may have. The Public Interest Network offers an excellent benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Washington, DC. Until all DC staff return to the office full time, the Grants & Office Administrator will be required to come to the office periodically.
Fill out our online application by clicking here.
If we are interested in interviewing you for the position, we will get back to you within a week.
Things to Know Before You Apply
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our core values page for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
The Public Interest Network
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate may have.
This position starts immediately. Please apply at your earliest convenience.