Drive Less, Live More Campaign Associate
Posted on: September 23, 2020
U.S. PIRG is seeking a Campaign Associate to join our Transportation Transformation team who will lead our Drive Less, Live More campaign.
Each year, pollution from cars, trucks and other vehicles cuts short an estimated 53,000 lives, and increases the risk of lung cancer, stroke and heart disease. Cars are much safer than they used to be. But motor vehicle crashes each year still kill an estimated 40,000 Americans and seriously injure 4.5 million. And, in a conclusion that should shock nobody, one study found the morning commute to be the least favorite part of the day for many Americans. Transportation is also now America’s number one source of carbon pollution, with greenhouse emissions from cars, trucks, buses and other vehicles surpassing every other source.
That’s why we’re launching the Drive Less, Live More campaign with the goal of doubling the number of people who travel on foot, bike or public transit by 2030. We’re working in 11 states to build on successes we have had elsewhere. In this campaign, we aim to:
- Secure increased funding to improve and expand public transportation, as we did in Massachusetts.
- Provide more walking and biking options, as we have in Colorado.
- Support policies that encourage transit-oriented development and sustainable living, as we have in Texas and California.
- Shift away from policies that prioritize transportation projects, like new highway construction, that have contributed to the problem, as we have in Wisconsin.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,000-$30,000 in the first year. U.S. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Fill out our online application by clicking here.
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. For the foreseeable future, all of our staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.This position starts in August 2021.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
U.S. PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our core values page for things you should know about our network when you apply.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.