Protect LGBTQ Equality – Campaign Director
Posted on: July 23, 2018
As a Canvass Director with Fund for Equality, a project of Fund for the Public Interest, you’ll work to build the people power we need to achieve full equality for LGBTQ Americans and work toward a day where all LGBTQ Americans are ensured basic equal rights. We are hiring for immediate positions as well as positions beginning August 2018.
As a Canvass Director, you will run your own office and work on campaigns with groups like the Human Rights Campaign You’ll recruit supporters, raise money and mobilize thousands of people to take action. Being a director requires that you work independently, exercise good judgment and work hard to meet the office’s staffing, campaign, and fieldwork goals.
RECRUIT, TRAIN AND MANAGE STAFF
- Recruit, hire and manage a campaign staff of 10-40 canvassers
- Train staff on effective canvassing and campaigning techniques
- Run staff meetings and skills trainings
- Evaluate staff performance and give ongoing feedback
- Identify strong staff, teach them leadership skills and promote from within
- Canvass three to four times a week
- Train new staff in the field
- Evaluate current staff
- Raise money
- Identify and activate members
- Educate the public on the issues.
RUN THE OFFICE
- Oversee administrative functions related to campaign goals, staff management, fundraising and membership development, and general office management
- Ensure that funds raised and member information collected gets to the partner organizations
- Complete your staff’s payroll accurately and in a timely fashion
OTHER CAMPAIGN TACTICS
Work with our partner organizations on a range of campaign tactics, including petition drives, coalition building, letter writing, phone banks, media work and news conferences.
We are looking for college graduates who have leadership experience, excellent communication skills and are willing to work hard to make lasting positive change on important issues.
We have an excellent training program—it’s one of the things for which we’re most widely recognized. All positions have a month-long initial training, most of which is spent working in an existing field office and getting hands-on training. After that, we follow up with a classroom-style training.
We work on the campaigns that we think are the most pressing, and set up our ground operations where we think we can make the biggest difference. We are running campaigns in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, New York, Miami and Washington, D.C
PAY AND BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for Canvass Directors is $27,000 – $31,500 in the first year, depending on the position. The Fund offers a competitive benefits package which includes paid holidays, sick days and vacation, the opportunity to enroll in a group healthcare plan, the opportunity to apply for our college loan assistance program and more. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Fund for Equality is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.
For Los Angeles-based positions: Fund for Equality will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.