Posted on: February 26, 2018
The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to our vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to getting things done.
The mission of The Public Interest Network’s in-house communications department is to strategically enhance public visibility of U.S. PIRG, Environment America and dozens of state and national affiliated organizations. We seek to elevate our organizational story and positioning through increased media mentions of The Public Interest Network’s campaigns and more interviews with our leadership and subject matter experts. Enhanced visibility should lead to greater name recognition, political clout and donations for The Public Interest Network to advance its causes.
The Communications Associate may be involved in communications strategic, writing, copy editing, networking and story pitching. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Communications/Media Strategy: Assist in developing communications strategies for ongoing and new campaigns.
- Writing:Assist in writing news releases, position statements and internal memos.
- Copy editing: Edit internal and public-facing writing for consistency and clarity
- List building: Build and maintain list of media contacts.
- Networking:Add to network media lists through outreach to journalists.
- Story pitching:Pitch stories to journalists using persuasive writing skills that match our stories to journalists’ needs.
- Digital communication: Use social media to promote content, find journalists and pitch stories.
- Are a concise communicator who can advocate for causes and translate complex topics into layman’s terms
- Have writing samples that will impress even a grizzled old journalist
- Are a leader who takes initiative and learns from mistakes
- Are goal-driven and results-oriented
- Are ready to fight for a better world but don’t see everyone who disagrees with you as the enemy
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree and excellent academic credentials
- Preferably have 1-3 years of experience in public/media relations, marketing or journalism
- Have extensive working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Preferably have prior experience volunteering or working with a nonprofit organization or political campaign
- Can make a two-year commitment to the position
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including extensive classroom and hands-on training.
Things To Know When You Apply:
The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to our vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to getting things done. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
The Community Voters Project is hiring Canvass Directors to help increase voter registration and ensure everyone’s voice is heard in our democracy this election. Canvass Directors will recruit and oversee a team of committed canvasser activists and help increase participation of underrepresented communities in the 2018 elections. Learn more here: https://communityvotersproject.org/jobs.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.
The Public Interest Network
Compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package.
April 6, 2018
Apply by April 1, 2018