Environment America Communications Director
Posted on: April 18, 2017
Environment America seeks a Communications Officer to build the organization’s brand in the public and among opinion leaders, spearhead its national media outreach strategy, write and edit media materials, and build relationships with reporters and bloggers.
About Environment America
Environment America is an advocacy group that tackles tough environmental problems – from fracking and the climate crisis to protecting our prized natural landscapes and ensuring clean water to drink for all Americans.
Through grassroots campaigns, research reports, news conferences, op-ed pieces, letters to the editor, and more, we’re mobilizing public support for the environment, promoting sensible solutions, and winning tangible results.
The changes Environment America has championed and won in Washington, D.C., and more than 25 states are reducing global warming pollution, creating more solar and wind power, sparing our parks and forests from fracking, keeping beaches, rivers and streams clean, and protecting our wildlife and wild places.
We have offices in 20+ states, with members in all 50 giving us a strong and broad base of grassroots support and action and a track record of local and state victories, all of which have set the stage for even bigger accomplishments on the national level.
• Develop and execute strategic communication plans to support campaigns to get the nation to commit to 100 percent clean, renewable energy; to ensure clean water; to take the next steps in the fight against global warming; to protect our special landscapes and more.
• Organize, promote and participate in news conferences, telepressers, media breakfasts, and similar, and write associated opinion media, press releases and statements.
• Write edit and pitch rapid-response press releases, statements and social media content on a wide variety of issues and campaigns as needed.
• Develop and deepen relationships with reporters, bloggers, and opinion writers through face to face meetings, phone calls, and written correspondence. Respond to media inquiries. Maintain an up-to-date database of top national reporters.
• Work with program directors to write and post regular blogs on Huffington post, Medium, Environment America’s website, and other media.
• Track media coverage and reach into key outlets, and adapt strategies to grow and improve coverage results over time
• Coordinate with digital campaigners to guide creation of compelling online content, including photos, videos and infographics.
• Develop a twitter following of at least 500 and follow and interact with 300+ national reporters.
Candidates must have at least 3 years of relevant professional experience. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to environmental issues and to citizen-based social change as well as a track record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for the work. Degree or professional experience in communications or journalism preferred. Final candidates will be required to take a writing test and submit four writing samples.
Pay & Benefits
Compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate possesses. We offer a competitive benefits package.
Please apply online at:
Direct your application to Kyle Larson, Hiring Director for The Public Interest Network.
Evironment America is part of The Public Interest Network — a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.