Clean Water Advocate
Posted on: May 23, 2017
Environment America is seeking an experienced campaigner to run our Clean Water Program. Responsibilities include coordinating program development, advocacy, field organizing and communications, recruiting and managing the team and building the resources for our work.
Environment America is a grassroots, advocacy organization tackling today’s toughest environmental problems. Working with our state affiliates and members across the country we use creative strategies, effective tactics, grit and determination to win positive change for our environment and our families’ health.
On a day-to-day basis, our Clean Water Campaign Director will be responsible for:
• Advocacy: Present both problems and solutions to decision-makers—local, state and federal. Build access and influence with key players who can help us move our agenda forward.
• Campaign Strategy Development: Assess opportunities for building political and public support through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, grasstops mobilization, generating media coverage, and develop winning plans for putting our resources to use.
• Media Outreach: Organize media events, write news releases, attend editorial board meetings, generate on-line content and design other communication tactics with a goal of building name recognition, garnering broad support and educating and mobilizing the public around our clean water vision.
• Program and Policy Development: Participate in and oversee policy development, research and messaging for our clean water program. Help determine where our field resources will be most effective.
• Building the Community: Building relationships and mobilizing support within the national environmental community while working with key constituencies that share our concerns about water quality from health professionals and farmers to outdoor recreational businesses and local elected officials.
• Mobilizing the Public: Providing compelling information and opportunities for action to our members and the general public will be a critical component of winning our clean water campaigns.
• Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff, and meet with major donors, all to bring more resources to our campaigns. S/he will also work with our citizen outreach and on-line staff to build and develop a strong membership base to sustain our work.
• Recruiting and Developing Staff: Recruit new staff, new interns and new volunteers to increase our impact and build more power. Oversee all staff on the Clean Water Program team including developing and implementing work plans, provide training and leadership development opportunities.
Qualifications: Candidates must have at least 5 years of relevant professional experience. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to environmental issues and to citizen-based social change as well as a track-record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for the work.
Pay & Benefits: Pay for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package. Eligible staff receive paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days; and the opportunity to enroll in our group health care, college and graduate loan assistance, and 401(k) programs. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Washington DC, DC
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.
July 7, 2017
Apply by August 31, 2017