Clean Energy Campaigner
Posted on: May 23, 2017
Advocate for changes to put America on the road to 100% renewable energy: More solar. More wind. Greater energy efficiency.
Environment America is seeking a skilled and determined campaigner to build momentum, expand support, and win policies that accelerate the shift to renewable energy. This person will working with our national program team, local organizers, and other key allies across the country to drive our campaigns to promote 100% renewable energy.
Burning oil, gas and coal is not only still polluting our air, water and land. It’s changing our climate even faster than scientists predicted. We can have healthier communities right now and a livable future for kids growing up today. But to get there, we need to transform the way we produce and consume energy. We need to move to 100% renewable energy.
We need to sweep past big energy interests who are blocking progress and let our leaders know that we need them to lead or get out of the way.
To make our vision reality, we need to highlight the benefits and feasibility of clean renewable energy and get more citizens, more opinion leaders, more organizations representing varied and powerful stakeholders engaged and mobilized.
- Campaign Management: Working with our staff and our allies to develop and drive our campaigns to win concrete commitments to 100% renewable energy. This involves developing and executing our initiatives, managing our partnerships with allies, and meeting our strategic and tactical objectives.
- Coalition Building: Growing and managing our partnerships with organizations and key players, cultivating relationships with diverse and powerful allies, and expanding the constituencies supporting our efforts.
- Grassroots Mobilization: Working with our organizers and advocates in states across the country to build our list of supporters, while also educating and mobilizing citizens. This includes the distribution of compelling information to enlist more supporters and creating opportunities for citizen action.
- Media and Visibility: Getting the word out far and wide, in the media and through other channels. By elevating the issue in the public debate, we can better educate and motivate citizens while holding decision-makers accountable. Increasing visibility means greater exposure of our organization through public forums, speaking engagements, and in the media.
- Research & Policy: Help manage research associated with the campaign, including scenarios that illustrate the steps needed to reach our goal of 100% renewable energy; facts that provide proof points on the feasibility and shape a narrative that helps people picture what they will experience as we transition to 100% renewable energy.
- Fundraising: Money makes the world go round. Raising money from foundations, donors and working with our digital teams to help with efforts to raise money online.
- Recruitment: Help recruit new staff, interns and volunteers to increase our impact and build more sway.
- Management: Coordination of staff working on the campaign including organizers and advocates and citizen outreach team working on the campaign and adding new staff over the course of the first two years.
Candidates should have 3- 5 years of relevant professional experience.
Qualified candidates must have a demonstrated commitment to environmental issues and to citizen-based social change as well as a track record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for the work.
The ideal candidate will have policy, political advocacy and organizing experience, a proven ability to recruit, train, and develop staff and volunteers, fundraising experience, and demonstrated success in building relationships with environmental and political stakeholders.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has.
Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.
Boston, MA or Washington, D.C.
Please apply online at:
Direct your application to Kyle Larson, Hiring Director for The Public Interest Network.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.
Things to know when you apply:
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network — a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.